Playing Minecraft With an Xbox360 Controller
So I got Minecraft for my birthday, which started this whole adventure. I have a laptop and don’t own a USB mouse which makes playing slightly difficult. I’ve never been a huge fan of the mouse and keyboard for games, which I know is basically heresy, so I decided to setup my computer to use an Xbox 360 controller. I’m running Elementary OS Jupiter which is a derivative of Ubuntu.
In order to make this work, you’ll need a few things:
- An official USB Xbox 360 controller. Now I’m not sure if you absolutely need an official Xbox 360 controller but I’ve had issues in the past with 3rd party controllers so I would highly recommend it.
- Xboxdrv, http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html
- An Xboxdrv configuration file, conveniently displayed below
The following xboxdrv file will set up your Xbox controller
[xboxdrv] ui-clear=true trigger-as-button = true [ui-axismap] x1=KEY_A:KEY_D y1=KEY_W:KEY_S x2^dead:4000 = REL_X:750:-1 y2^dead:4000 = REL_Y:750:-1 # trigger^invert = rel-repeat:REL_WHEEL:1:50 [ui-buttonmap] a = KEY_SPACE b = KEY_LEFTSHIFT x = KEY_Q y = KEY_T lt = BTN_RIGHT rt = BTN_LEFT rb = KEY_LEFTSHIFT lb = KEY_TAB # tl = KEY_BACKSPACE # tr = KEY_SPACE [ui-buttonmap] du = rel:REL_WHEEL:-1:500 dr = rel:REL_WHEEL:-1:500 dd = rel:REL_WHEEL:1:500 dl = rel:REL_WHEEL:1:500 # lt = KEY_VOLUMEDOWN # rt = KEY_VOLUMEUP [ui-buttonmap] start = KEY_E back = KEY_ESC # guide = KEY_ESC # EOF
- The left joystick is WASD
- The right joystick is the view with normal configuration. You can created an inverted look by shifting the controls.
- A is jump
- B and Right bumper are crouch
- X is drop
- Y is talk
- Right Trigger is break
- Left Trigger is place
- Left Bumper shows who is on the server
- Select shows the menu
- Start shows inventory
Starting the controller
If you want to turn on the controller easily, place the configuration file in
the same directory as the minecraft jar launcher and name is
minecraft.xboxrdv. Then add this line to your
alias xbox='sudo rmmod xpad; sudo xboxdrv -c minecraft.xboxdrv --silent'